Wednesday, June 12, 2013

More Cakes

Handmade cakes

In anticipation for my baked goods swap coming in the mail, I practiced making more cakes. I wish I had made these for the swap instead because I think they are better than the coconut caramel cake. Oh well, gotta keep practicing.

 Miniature Cake

I saw a YouTube video where the author pushed clay through a icing tip. I must not have followed the directions correctly because it was a PAIN IN THE BUTT! I made it work, but I definitely need to go back and research that some more.

Miniature Cake

I made the fondant way too thick. Also, I was not planning on cutting this one open, so I didn't bother mixing the green clay all the way or putting layers of icing between each cake layer. I realized my mistake after I had cut, so I just worked with it.

Three Tier Chocolate Cake

I'm super happy with how this one turned out!The flowers are cute, and the leaves look pretty nice. Now all I need to do is gloss these. Since I knew I was making a tiered cake, I used junk clay. What I mean by this is sometimes I have clay that gets messed up while making things (for instance, white clay that gets dirty). I collect this clay and keep it in a baggie for trying out things or using under fondant since nobody will see it. I also am super paranoid about pieces falling apart, so I used a wire and some TLS to keep the tiers together.

I'm really having fun making cakes. I need to work on not having so many fingerprints on my work though. I guess you could say that's my autograph!

2 comments: